OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.
Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?

Hello! For those of you that don’t know me - my name is Peter Hanschke - I’m the Director of Product Management for the Productivity Software Group here at Corel. I look after WordPerfect, Perfect Authority, Corel Office, PDF Fusion and the just released WordPerfect eBook Publisher add-on. Since my arrival last year, I’ve been getting to know some of our users, and my impression is that we have a very loyal and passionate user base and a strong team at Corel that cares deeply about these users.

I was at the recent LegalTech show in New York to get a feel for the community we serve. I was blown away by the shear passion that users have for WordPerfect. Over the course of 3 days I couldn't get over how many users came to the booth to talk about their uses of WordPerfect. It was a real pleasure to see such passion for a product ...very few products elicit such passion. But the product manager in me always has to ask 'why'. Why is there such passion? Why did attendees make a beeline to our booth to tell their WordPerfect story?  I read a blog from early 2011 that reported a statistic from a survey where 14% of the law firms and legal departments who responded said they used WordPerfect. In a world dominated by MS Office, I'm proud to say that we have a solid position in this community. I'm convinced that the reason for this passion is because our users believe that we've built a product that meets their needs like no other ... and some of them have believed this for more than 20 years.

There are many reasons why people love WordPerfect, and they are not necessarily all the same reasons. The Reveal Codes feature is probably the best known. But what are some of the other features that WordPerfect users absolutely love? By looking through the results of recent formal and informal research and talking to users, I discovered the following that are ranked high amongst our users.

1) Have you ever had a PDF that you needed to change but have lost the source file? Whether the PDF was created in Word, WordPerfect, Notepad or scanned? Maybe it's a single page or maybe it's an entire document. You could always retype it - but that's very time-consuming and prone to errors. WordPerfect's PDF's capabilities will read the PDF and make it editable. You can then make your changes and save it as a WordPerfect file, a Doc file or even back as a PDF.

2) Do you need your invoice to fit on one page? Are you submitting a paper that can only be six pages long? WordPerfect's Make It Fit feature adjusts fonts, margins, and line spacing settings to suit the space - saving you time and making your document look professional. You can make selected text or all text in a document fit a specific number of pages.

3) Are you ever stuck with an old file that your software cannot open and you end up having to actually retype it from scratch? This problem is not likely to happen with WordPerfect since we've been supporting the WPD file format - both ways - all the way back to the 1990's! And we are 100% committed to stay the course. Need to view your WPD files on your iPhone(r) or iPad(r)? We have an app for that (available on the Apple App Store)!

4) Ever receive documents (or bring in text from other software) that you need to finish up and get out the door in a hurry – but you cannot seem to figure out how to remove bold or text color or there is a page-break that should no longer be there? Reveal Codes in WordPerfect is legendary when it comes to managing formatting in your document. Turn on Reveal Codes and delete the unwanted formatting.

My goal is to continue the tradition of making a product that excites our users and is useful to them.  With 74% of our current WordPerfect legal users being Very Satisfied with the product, and a star rating of 4.3 on Amazon.com (as voted by first-time users of WordPerfect) I’d say that we are doing a good job. Could we do a better job? We will always strive to do better!

I look forward to meeting more customers and invite you to write about your favorite feature as a reply to this post or on our FaceBook page (www.facebook.com/wordperfectoffice) ...I’d like to hear your story.

Posted Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:42 AM by Peter Hanschke

Comments

Pkw wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:18 PM

Hello Mr Hanschke

Corel includes Paradox 11 with WP X5 Pro version but Corel does not seem very excited to be offering what was and may still be the best relational data base program.

There is talk Corel may drop Paradox. I'm hoping you can assure that won't happen.

Paul aka Pkw

Peter Hanschke wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Mar 29 2012 11:26 AM

Hi Pkw,

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

I'm not sure where that talk is coming from, but Paradox is not being dropped.

Peter

waltman wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Apr 22 2012 10:57 AM

Not commenting on WP, which I use since version 4.2, but on the total lack of documentation to go with Paradox.

I tried the tutorial, which lost me on the way and looking for beginners books gave 0 results.  Can Corel do something about that ?

Wim

Cookerhiker wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:32 PM

I consider WP's menu, features, and options to be more user-friendly that its competitor.

It's pretty obvious:  Excel and PP always have been good programs (I've used the latter a few times but not the former), good enough that they were never free "throw-ins" i.e you had to pay for them.  But Word always was - and still is - an inferior product.  Why else was it given away free until just a few years ago?  MS's "freebie" strategy worked in that enough individuals and organizations took the freebie over the years to the extent where it became "standard," after which MS began charging for it.  But it's still an inferior product.

I'm aware that Excel is a good program but I'm plenty satisfied with QuattroPro, ever since the mid-90s when it began featuring the 3-D spreadsheets.

Re. Presentations, I'll admit that I'm tempted to switch to PP, both for its universality and 1-2 features in Presentations that frustrate me.  But alas, MS only offers PP as a bundle; it's literally cheaper to buy the entire suite rather than just PP.  And I can't be certain that my issue with some of Presentations' features isn't also present in PP.

crb wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:46 PM

Hi. I've just registered with the Blog site because I wanted to say that I have just looked at the new X6 specs. I have used Wordperfect for about as long as it has been around, which means that I have thousands of files in wpd format, but I have become increasingly disappointed with the last few releases of Wordperfect. It seems to me that Corel is uninterested in making any significant attempt to bring WP users into the modern world. What is the point of having the greatest word processor on my desktop or laptop if I cannot then easily use my wpd files on my iphone? Never mind that rather pointless WP reader for the iphone. If I want just to read the files, I can pdf them and send them to the iphone, which happily reads pdfs. I need to be able to edit my wpd files on the iphone. Has no one at Corel noticed that a Word user has no problem whatsoever in getting apps that will read and edit Word files. There is probably no device which does not allow Word users to edit their files. So, if you want customers to stay with you, then get with it and start supporting them. It cannot be difficult to write an app that will read and edit wpd files. Please think about this piece of lunacy: I have to turn my wpd files into .doc files in order to do any work with them when I am on the move, which by the way most people nowadays often are. I love Wordperfect, but it is really getting hard to rationalise staying with you guys. I realise that years ago you had to do a deal with the devil to survive financially, but it is now time that Corel started producing product which gives their loyal followers--the people who pay the salaries--what they need to be productive. I upgraded to X4 and 5, but I cannot see any reason to go up to X6 because it is just going to mean saving my files in .doc. I might as well get the real thing.

Peter Hanschke wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, May 2 2012 3:14 PM

Hi Waltman,

I have the Paradox User Guide. Please let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy.

Peter

KMartin wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Fri, May 4 2012 5:51 AM

Hi,

I've been (and still I am) a WordPerfect user for nearly 25 years, but now, slowly, I am slowing down and switching to other word processors. Reason is, WordPerfect does not use Unicode, neither is their any guarantee that it will in the future. I have edited articles and scientific books with WordPerfect, in multi-languages-environment, but now, as there is Unicode ...

If Corel switches to Unicode, I sure will switch fully to WordPerfect again! And I guess that there are more power-users like me outside who do not complain but just step back slowly. WordPerfect is a great word processor, it is more comfortable and function-friendly than any processor I know  - except for Unicode.

Reedijk wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, May 16 2012 6:59 PM

I have been a WP user for more years than I care to remember, have thousands of documents in WP format. I've just upgraded to 6X and for the first time ever I'm going to return it. Reason? The ebook publisher is again not main stream but off in a corner with Kindle format. And since I have upgraded, I can no longer insert graphics without crashing. Help is much more difficult to get to - I am now needing to consider my loyalty. Version 6X is being returned!  I am a very unhappy WP user!!

Mary2331 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:11 PM

You seem to be the perfect person to answer this question. I see from the last post that the eBook Publisher, which I could not find, is "off in a corner". Which corner would that be? I've searched the whole disk, but obviously missed it. I tried within WP to see if it said anything about publishing to MOBI, but it didn't. I tried looking in the Add-ons, but it wasn't there either. I've posted this question around this site and hope for an answer soon. I use WP in my new job as a legal transcriptionist, and got this version because of the eBook Publisher.

Mary2331 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:54 PM

Okay, I've found the eBook Publlisher.. Now, how do you publish your work in mobi? Can't seem to find that.

shiny beige wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:31 AM

I am still passionate about WP, but WPX6 barely resembles it. I can't even tell you how disappointed I am.

Please let me know how to return this horrible mistake.

DeaconMichael wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Fri, Jun 15 2012 11:04 AM

Like most of us, I have been using WordPerfect for centuries, since around 1984 to be exact.  I own a license copy of almost every version from 5.0 DOS through X6.  When people accuse me of being old fashioned because I still use WordPerfect, I simply reply that it does what I need to do.

I routinely make service books in English and Church Slavonic ("Old Russian") and nobody has been able to show me how to do this in the alternative word processor.  The reveal codes have saved me hours of grief.  Every year for the Russian Festival I make two books full with photographs.  I would not even try to do this in the alternative word processor.

I also love the language support.  I routinely use Russian, but frequently I also use French, Spanish, or Greek.  The spell check in these languages have been extremely helpful.  I have inserted Georgian characters as well as Hebrew characters at times.

But I am very upset with the WordPerfect X6 upgrade since it would not recognize any of my licenses.  Why should a loyal customer be forced to purchase the software at full price?  I do think that Corel needs to give their customers much better support.  Like shiny beige I'm very disappointed now.  But I hope that somebody can get me back on the right track.

mchan1 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Mon, Jun 18 2012 12:43 PM

Unfortunately, I'll be one user that may not upgrade anymore since WP does NOT support Unicode.

I NEED a word processor that supports other languages other than English (i.e. Asian Characters). WP has refused to support Unicode as it's been noted in several WP online forums/blogs for MANY years. WP is essentially for the North American market and certain parts of Europe hence it's small base of users.

Without the support of Unicode, then WP is essentially worthless for those of us that don't always use English when writing.

I've supported WP for many years since... H.S./college years so long ago... only to be disappointed that it doesn't support Asian characters.

It's too bad that Corel limits itself and WP to such a small community of users instead of branching. WP "used" to be the relative best in word processing before MS Word overtook it years ago and is relegated as the alternative to MS Word.

I like WP for its relative ease of use and functionality compared to MS Word but it's time to move on.

doctormr1 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:46 PM

The reason WordPerfect users are so passionate is essentially the same reason that Mac users are passionate.  Users believe that there has been a true effort to get things right; to solve problems rather than allow the customer to make the best of a bad situation; to be at the forefront of creativity rather than follow the trend; to be completely user-friendly.  Therefore, it is astounding that Corel has not figured out that Mac users would be their most loyal customers, if WordPerfect worked on a Mac without having to run the dreaded, clunky, inelegant Microsoft OS.  I was a loyal WordPerfect user from  Version 3.0 for DOS until Version 12. When my wife and children began using Mac's five years ago, I saw first-hand the mistake I had made over the years by sticking with a PC.  Three years ago I switched to both an IMac and a Macbook Pro.  I ran VMWare for severe months just to continue using WordPerfect, but soon realized that the bugginess of Microsoft's OS was driving me nuts and was ruining my computing experience.  WordPerfect is good, but I would rather work around the various problems of Page -- and even Word -- rather than the many problems of Windows.  You have a superior product and Mac is still on the rise, while Windows is still basically garbage by comparison.  Wise up and make the world's best word-processing program universally available.  There are tens of thousands of users waiting to switch back

glpanthonis wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Mon, Jul 9 2012 3:24 AM

Hello Mr Hanschke,

Just upgraded to WPOffice XP6. Started using WP when it still ran on DOS. So disappointed with the new version. Again no support for Unicode. Why? Is that really such a hard change to impliment.

Living in Taiwan I use Chinese on a daily basis. It is only because I have a long back log of WP documents that I stay with WordPerfect and also because Quattro is so much better than anything else on the market. BUT it to lost its ability to handle Chinese characters.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT?

pwilliams wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jul 25 2012 4:07 AM

Hello Mr Hanschke,

I have been a longtime user of WordPerfect, and I want to get WordPerfect X6, but will not do so until there is a Mac OSX version. I don't want the expense and inconvenience of running two operating systems on my desktop, with all the extras, such as Windows internet security, etc, that I would need to run as well.

Corel's current position indicates either indecision on their part, or a decision not to release a Mac-compatible version, but to keep it secret. Please - just tell us. Will Corel release a version of WordPerfect Office for Mac, or not?

Thanks,

Paul

dphillipson wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Tue, Oct 2 2012 9:27 AM

PH wrote  03-29-2012  . . ."I'm not sure where that talk is coming from, but Paradox is not           being dropped."

but the X6 instal disk I bought in September is dated March/April 2012 and has no vestige of Paradox.  PH's comment is inexplicable.

carlchildress wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:54 AM

In X5, when I click on the Select Target box in the cross reference toolbar, the displayed text is automatically selected. That makes it easy to Ctrl+V a new target. I write a book (30 edition, 200,000 words,m 400 pages) with more than 1000 targets, over 1600 cross references. Now, in X6, I have to manually select the text. Very irritating.

Even worse: In X5 when I scroll over a hyperlink to a bookmark, the bookmark dispalys, very like a tool tip. I can find out instantly whether the link is hot. Now, in X6, the pointing finger just sits there: No display. That's going to cost me at least 100 hours.

I'm seriously considing returning to X5 before the service pack. Is there anything to do that will fix these two probloems?

There's a second post about a different subject.

carlchildress wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:00 AM

In the book I referred to, I have these user-created target categories: section, off interp, plays, notes, authoritative opinion, plus the "default" categories.

In a book as complex as mine, errors are bound to creep in. When Wp 12 came out, I spoke to a support techie and told him that a terrific search category would be Target by name. He said he's pass it on. Obviously, he never did.

I have a work around that solved my problem. I use a different type face for each category. Example: Play text is Caliberi 9.8. To find those Targets, I search Code, Target, Font, etc. Very easy.

Drawback: I lengthy document looks a little weird with all those separate faces. Oh, well, my perfectly sensible suggestion was ignored.

Kurt wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:10 AM

Be careful before you order Office Pro X6. It will not work with the Perfect Authority you may have purchased just last year. That little item is not mentioned in the sales information. I've been a WordPerfect user since version 5.1, and they've always been good about making sure things were "backward compatible." I guess things have changed.

HeatherB wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:17 PM

Anyone who has purchased Perfect Authority is entitled to an update that works with WordPerfect Office X6. Contact Customer Support.

marccolten@marccolten.com wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Tue, Dec 11 2012 6:13 PM

I used to be passionate about WP, even before I added Windows.  I like the ease of use, the macros and other features.  I even defended WP against the constant onslaught of Word, even when WP did stupid things like change the auto tab of outlines so they all stay on the left margin rather then indenting.

Now I'm just pissed.  I am using X4 on Windows Vista with a Brother 4120 printer.  Now for some reason WP changes the paper source to MANUAL, and nothing I do will change it back.  I hit print, then printer properties and change the source to Tray 1.  I click okay to go back to the document and it's back to manual again.  I've tried changing it in properties and even adding a new page type with Tray 1 as the default and nothing changes.

WP is now USELESS if I have to print more than one page.  I sent a request for help to tech support and they blew me off because X4 is not supported.  I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade to X5 or X6 if the problem is going to remain.

I was a loyal and passionate user and WP is now the digital equivalent of a doorstop.

Bret B wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sat, Jan 5 2013 11:32 PM

Because it isn't Word and while in the DOS days Word was far better when Windows became universal Word became trash.  But, and this is a big BUT, I really wish WordPerfect would concentrate on fixing bugs rather than just changing things in new versions.

I will say that WP X4 finally fixed some of the bugs that had bothered me for years but now the spell checker is almost unusable (at least in my medical texts).

Chet-NYC wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:29 PM

I first started using WordPerfect with version 4 on a 5.25" floppy drive.  I've watched people struggle with Word and laughed as that program made making indents, margins, and columns a disaster.

After much thought, and many years of being a PC owner, I'm typing this from a brand new iMac.  The single most disappointing thing is using MS Word.  I was able to dig up my old copy of WordPerfect X3 and install that via Parallels on the iMac, but it just isn't the same.

I gave Word 2011 for the Mac a shot.  I'm a high school teacher and had to make up an exam.  Fiddling with the stupid little slides on the ruler and microscopic tab notations in Word was infuriating.  What would take me 20 minutes in WordPerfect took almost an hour in Word.

Corel really needs to step up to the plate and do one of two things- 1) Make a WordPerfect for the Mac version- that would be beyond awesome; or 2) Make X6 installable via Parallels... X5 will simply not install, I have tried X6.

My brand new iMac may be great with photography, video, graphics, etc., but when it comes to word processing, it is missing the best program out there- WordPerfect.

Midnight wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Jan 20 2013 4:09 PM

I'd like to echo the comments regarding the need for a version of WP for Mac.  My first copy of WP came on 5.25-inch floppies, and for decades I bought all of the WP successor versions.  Then I bought a Mac.  I miss WP, but not enough to revert to a PC and not enough to install Parallels.  I would happily pay for a version of WP for Mac, and I know I'm not alone.  Is there any hope for us Mac users?

waltman wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:32 PM

Hope Peter didn't leave Corel as I'm still interested to learn more about Paradox ( see blog on May 2, 2012)  Was distracted and I'm spending most of my time on WP Universe

The Southern Gentleman wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:21 PM

I just signed up here and been reading who has what and whats wrong or not right with what they got.  then I read where some are saying I have had WP 4 or 5 or 6 from when ever.

I only came in here to find any updates for my WP 10 yeah yeah I know probably not handled any more but I have to say I was a user when Corel wasn't Corel but Novell back in 95 when I got version powin30.setup was how you loaded it and from there finally got to version 10.

Ok nuff of that stuff so are there any updates for Version 10 and in so please put a link here so I can get them.

Oh I do have MS Word Pro 2007 which I upgrade to that from MS word 2000 back when...

I have over 100 gigs of Corel and Word files but 65 to 70 % is Corel.

OK I must say I am to lazy to fully convert either one to the other so I am happy with both.

Nuff said

waltman wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:04 PM

Southern Gentleman,

In case you didn't find the upgrades, look here

ftp.corel.ca/.../10

edavide wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Apr 3 2013 9:49 AM

Hello!

Peter, are you still there? I haven't seen many replies from you, not since 5/02/2012! I wonder if we all are whistling into the wind.

Being a user, mostly of Quattro Pro, I too have been wondering why the absolute best spreadsheet and wordprocessor programs have not been ported over to Mac.

I bought the first iPhone and the first iPad when they came out. Since then I've embraced Mac products for their interoperability and syncing features.

I'm mega frustrated that my entire staff must convert wpd and qpw files to W%#d for me to read/edit.

The Mac community is a great group of power users and, I'm sure would embrace Corel Office Mac!

caleula wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Jun 23 2013 11:26 PM

WordPerfect v3.0 on the DEC Rainbow first time used. It had compatibility problems. When I later worked for ComputerLand, I found a note in the log stating that both WordPerfect and the Dec Rainbow were mutually incompatible.

Loved reveal codes and the hundreds of printer drivers which used to far exceed those in MS Word. I also wrote a few printer drivers myself for the odd printer that was the exception to the rule.

Still remember enjoying Software Satellite International's PE [Professional Editor or Programmer's Editor?] which was indeed a pro- strength editor. SSI later became WordPerfect and of course even later Corel.

Have a collection of LH and Top Row templates for WP and even a favourite keyboard which takes both and has the red, green and blue keycap logos to match WP commands :)

John Elliot wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Jul 14 2013 6:51 PM

The users' manual for QuatroPro v6 tells you how to print page numbers when printing a spreadsheet.   The code still works but is nowhere to be found in the help files.

Please, Please attend to these details, or WP will die.

corndog5 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jul 17 2013 2:30 PM

let me add my 2 cents, a wordperfect mac edition sounds like a good idea.

corndog5 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Jul 17 2013 2:32 PM

a mac version of wordperfect sounds nice

jdurkee wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Aug 29 2013 12:12 PM

I have used WordPerfect for nearly 30 years, and I won't switch to MS Word no matter how poor the level of user support becomes. I buy every upgrade of Office and have no idea why I do that. But, I guess I am a loyal user who puts up with the continuing instability of the Quattro-Pro spreadsheet. I hope this will be addressed in each upgrade, but it never gets better.

I do have a small problem about which I would like to ask a question. About the formula bar in WordPerfect's table editing process....Can the font size of the characters entered into the formula bar be increased so that someone can actually see them without inhaling the screen? I would appreciate any advice anyone would care to give. Thank you.

John Durkee

jdurkee@precisioncleaning.com

mlaw wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Aug 29 2013 2:48 PM

Like others on this blog, I am a passionate three decades long user of WordPerfect.  What I do NOT understand is why Corel is letting this wonderful product languish away without brining it into the modern age of mobile technology of tablets and other portable devices.  As the market share of desktop PCs continues to decline, there is no evidence that Corel has any plan in place to adjust.  In the world of technology, one must either adapt and innovate or die.  If the decline of WordPerfect should lead to its demise, I will just as passionately grieve its death.  This looks like it is heading to become a case study for future business school students of how to let a great product die.  I'd love to hear back from Corel?

RHL wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:31 AM

Why do I LOVE WP? Back in the day I was a WordStar user. Dot commands were great. Using them in data base reports produced a file that would look pretty when opened. But that was then.

WP has [ALT][F3] - Reveal codes. No one else bothers. I can't tell you how many WORD files I've 'fixed' for people by using WP.

Also, [ALT][F7] - for simultaneous left and right justification independent of tab.

I use this often.

I'm sure every WP user has a feature they love and can access with a couple of keystrokes.

And see what I did above? Every WP use either knows what I am talking about, even if they are using WP for DOS!. No video needed. The ability to communicate is great!

And, recently, I had to find a 14 year old letter. It was a matter of $30,000.00. I found the letter and opened it and printed it and everything was right! Try doing that with anything else.

Word processors are a tool for the workstation and laptop! WP provides a consistent interface (UI) and consistent file structure AND it does a better job of getting the work done.

NOW, Make it work on MACs, and LINUX so I can get away from MS completely.

WP is so powerful it is just about a page layout tool like publisher. Consistent version to version keyboard commands are really important. Consistent UI is a delight. (as Microsoft might be learning on the release of Win8). I have 265 business clients in my list. Two of them have 1 Win8 machine. One hates it, the other is not enthusiastic. It was what was on the machines when purchased. So. it is what they use. (Nobody's IT dept is looking forward to Win8 in their business because of the sucky UI - nobody).

I love that you are in WalMart, just because it means you are everywhere.

mlaw above writes that the market share of PCs is declining. OK, but what is the raw number of people who use a PC in business. There is huge expansion in the number of devices. But there is no substitute for a PC or laptop for producing work! That market is nearing saturation.

Most American households now have more than one car. That does not mean that cars are no longer going to be sold. But the auto industry today is different that it was in 1973 (when my parents were still a one car house, and still are come to think of it).

Mercedes built a car in 1898 with four wheels, steering wheel, four cylinders, rubber tires. The same configuration is still sold today! The manufacturing is different. The reliability is way up. The is now air conditioning, automatic transmission, and power windows. But the basic form and utility was established in 1898!.

WordPerfect is like Mercedes. They got it right early. There is no need to change the UI. Make it better under the hood. Port it to more platforms (Apple, Linix).

What would happen if Corel offered a patch or mod to Win8 that made the interface like Win7? Auto install Classic Start, fix the registry to turn off 'charms', boot to desk top. Would not business people be lined up to 'fix' their 'broken' Win8 machines?

I just purchased a Dell M6700 with Win7 Pro so I will have a usable WP platform for at least a few more years while the market forces fix the UI Crap that Microsoft is foisting on us.

The only reason I have not switched to MAC is that WP is not available on it.

WP influences my PC purchasing decisions.

The way big business buys hardware is they choose what software to run, then the hardware is purchased to support the software. Consumers buy a new information appliance and use what is on it.

I see the WP market as being business and schools. How many consumers write papers or contracts, or even use a spreadsheet? Yet the consumer channel is flooded with Office installations. When the PC form factor drops off the consumer buying pattern and consumers of information use mostly phones and tablets (which is all you need for iTunes, Twitter, Face Book and to Check their checking account balance) then the producers of information, at workstations and laptops, will have to pay far more for the form factor (because volume will fall as a percent of the market) and just might, if they are stimulated, look at software choices again.

I will look for WP to be there.

Wolftrail wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:42 AM

I'm new to WordPerfect. I just downloaded the trial version, but I look forward using it and learning something new (:

Jack Yan wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:02 AM

I’m in the DOS club—people who began using WordPerfect at version 5 at the turn of the 1990s. For me, it’s the only word processor that works. Word’s learning curve is far too steep: I can get things done in a fraction of the time in WordPerfect. However, I have to echo some comments above: the absence of Unicode remains a very serious omission. The multinational characters are great but it is the 2010s now: there should be a way of porting those to Unicode equivalents, and allow non-Latin users the opportunity to experience what we all love about WordPerfect.

m610 wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Wed, Nov 27 2013 4:11 PM

WP user since version 4.2. I was sold then on how it handled equations and still am. Most of my writing back then was scientific, but I still use equations, and I use the WP-style equation editor. The Word style editor is so tedious.

The overall working style of WP suits me. The UI (up to X4 anyway) was straight-forward. Word, by comparison, seems tedious, requiring mouse action for many things. The way I see it, if I have to grab the mouse my work flow has been interrupted.

The "reveal codes" feature has been essential to me. It has allowed me to "fix" many documents and get around other issues, like an extra line breaks after a figure. (Just move the BOX code to the end of the paragraph.)

Figure captions was also a major feature for me. I can't believe it took MS so long to figure out that figures needed captions. When I had to use Word I'd create a table, one column and two rows, figure in first row, caption in the second. Major pain.

The approach to document formating works much better for me than the paragraph-by-paragraph method used in word. Word = tedious.

I am currently using WP to produce 40-60 page newsletters, two column format with a lot of photos, WP files often over 100 MB, and it works! I was asked to use Publisher, bought it and tried it, and no thanks. It's just a fancy text box program with all of aggravating nuisances of Word.

I'm also using it to produce a self-published book, 200+ pages, about 40% of that illustrations, and WP is doing great for this.

There are things about recent versions (I am up to X4) I am not happy with (i.e. ugly equations and figures on the screen, but they print OK, PDF export is dodgy) but WP is by far my preferred word processor.

I just wish Quattro Pro wasn't so buggy and the charts so messed up, and that WP (X4) was more stable.

JamesM wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:56 PM

Been using WP since 3.0  on Dos 2.0

Currently run 6x 5x and 3x on various machines

Like it because it works.

Want:

Tabs for open documents. Across the top or down the sides.  Maybe a side bar which is hidden unless I pop it.

Automatic saves to save in current directory of working document if previously opened or saved to there.

For bringing in sections from MS Word documents please have option to highlight block and strip all formatting from block except Bold, underline, italics, and alignment of left, center or right.

Stuff coming in from word redefines fonts, styles and coffee mixture every other world. Need simple way to get rid of all MS word junk formatting.

I want BETTER handling of Outline Bullets and Numbering. Both for setting up outlines, and for controlling multiple outlines in a document. Iseem to spend a lot of time un-f-ing outline numbers in legal documents that are not behaving. More standard styles built in might help.

I can setup a default document heading so all new documents have that style when they first open. i.e. Font, line spacing, page setup....

How about having the ability to store SEVERAL so when I open a new document I get the default OR one of the prior defaults I have setup, without having to create a number of templates.  For example when I open a document to start a motion I want the document default to be double line spacing, but for memos and letters I want single.

Accessibility wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sun, Apr 13 2014 4:59 PM

I wanted to share with you my post about word Perfect 5.1 for DOS at Technology Air Time,

technologyairtime.com/.../technology-air-time-is-less-with-keyboard-only-input

Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS, which produced less Technology Air Time than other word processors running in GUI’s – Graphical User Interfaces.

mvsqueens wrote re: Why are WordPerfect users so passionate?
on Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:50 PM

My experience with WordPerfect has been most enjoyable when I create macros.  One can do almost anything with a macro.  I used to create custom macros for large NYC law firms.

A lot of what JamesM wants can be accomplished through macros.  I remember one law firm that I worked for had coded a macro to strip a lot of the MSWord formatting junk out of the document.  Unfortunately, no macro can get it all, but most of it can be deleted, resulting in a workable document of a reasonable size that doesn't suddenly freeze or become corrupted.

By the way, WP-X6 runs best in WinXp (service pack 3) compatibility.  Many of the problems mentioned above disappear when doing this.  I'll put directions on how to do this up at another time... or someone else in the community can do that.

Otherwise, I find MSWord confusing and constantly changing.  (Why?  Microsoft wants to rule the world...!!  Constantly changing what goes into a .DOC provides continual challenges for conversion filters.)  THAT is the main reason that I love WordPerfect.  I can still use the classic keyboard (F10 Save, SHFT-F7 Print, etc.), which, Mr.Accessibility, helps me be more productive by using the keyboard rather than the mouse.  Documents are formatted to print quicker than any other program I come across, returning me to the editing window sooner so that I can continue my work.

And WordPerfect is a good "desktop publisher."  People ask me, "Did you use MS Publisher?", and the are amazed when I tell them that I used WordPerfect.

I don't think anything can tear me away from WordPerfect, in spite of the current list of problems, many of them connected to the various attempts by Microsoft to "improve" Windows.  I usually find workarounds to all of WordPerfect's glitches.

Keep the faith, everyone!!

© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.