This manual provides a tutorial-based approach to WordPerfect Office X5.
The tutorials are rather perfunctory vis-à-vis WP. I did appreciate the tutorials as I don't really use Quattro pro and Presentations and would like to learn more how to use them Still though how do I use OLE to exchange information between them?
With respect to WP: here's what I'd like to see in a revised edition:
1) How to use the Math equations editor and Mathtype
2) How to use the Speller utilities to convert dictionaries and add words
3) How to create your own templates and automate them with macros
4) How to deal with photos and images in WP
5) How to work with PDF: converting PDF documents to WP documents, creating PDF documents in WP. How to troubleshoot PDF creation/conversions
6) OLE exchanges between Quattro pro, Excel, Open/Libre office, Presentations, and Powerpoint
7) file conversions: Word what does and doesn't convert and what to do when the conversion isn't perfect
8) Inserting characters with special reference to non-English characters.
9) UNICODE: a clarification of which alphabets/scripts WP can and can't handle and how to work with the limitations.
10) Working with different languages and how to install the dictionaries
Thanks very much for your detailed feedback, xavier! Some of these items are new to me, while others match up with tasks already on my "to do" list. Regardless, all of these items give me valuable insight into your wish list. :-)
For item #4, I have an alternative for you: To help provide a "bird's-eye view" of working with images (and photos) in WordPerfect, I've uploaded a Quick Reference Card to Office Community, at officecommunity.com/.../3455.aspx . Please feel free to send along any feedback on it.
Thanks. I downloaded the card. It's quite helpful but I should've clarified that users will need info on what do do when the JPEG file doesn't quite convert properly (something to do with the EXIF file header)
A clarification of Intel's hyperthreading and how it might affect image insertion in WP.
Also, does WP and the rest of the suite handle PNG, SVG? If not what can users do?
Further, I would strongly urge that Quattro pro gets its own user guide as well as macro manual. Everyone swears by Excel and I see massive books on Excel macros. So what I'd like to see (along with other potential users)
1) Intro to Quattro pro and how it differs from WP
2) What Quattro pro can do just like Excel
3) What Quattro pro does better
4) What Excell does better
5) Things you can do with Quattro pro (Basic, Intermediate and Advanced stuff)
The Quattro pro macro manual (with tons of tutorials, code and screenshots) Frankly you need to show that Quattro pro can pretty much do what Excel does via macros
1) A note to WP users: how the marco language is different from WP's and how to adapt to the syntax differences
2) Basic commands: simple things you can do with Quattro pro macros
3) Intermediate: Very useful tasks you can do
4) Advanced: Super useful if mind blowing stuff you can do
5) Troubleshooting macros what to do when they don't work and how to understand the error message.
WP lightning also needs its own manual. I'm seriously thinking of experimenting with Evernotes. So it would be helpful to know if Lightning can work with Evernotes
Quattro Pro actually does have its own User Guide PDF. This guide -- along with ones for WordPerfect and Presentations -- installs with WordPerfect Office X5 for easy access through the Reference Center.
As for Quattro Pro macros, WordPerfect Office X5 provides basic information in the Quattro Pro Help (and Quattro Pro User Guide PDF) and more advanced information in the PerfectScript Help (and PerfectScript User Guide PDF). I've recently received a few requests for more information on native Quattro Pro macros, so that's an item on my to-do list. :-)
WordPerfect Lightning also has a User Guide PDF. It installs with WordPerfect Lightning; in WordPerfect Office X5, this guide can be accessed through the Reference Center.
The documentation found here on Office Community represents a small subset of what's available in WordPerfect Office X5. I may add more items in the future, but for now, I've tried to pick the items I think are of greatest interest. :-)
Thanks again for your detailed feedback!
Thanks. When I get WP 15, I'll take a closer look and then make any additional comments
I have WP X5, downloaded your guidebook a few days ago and printed off the Wordperfect section. It is quite good but does not go into much detail. I am looking for guidance in setting up templates for various types of documents, eg a letterhead first page, blank following pages, with a specific setup of font and size, margins, letter and word spacing etc.
I am confused about the difference between Projects, templates and styles How can I set up a letter with a letterhead for first page and blank sheets for the following? (different drawer in the printer) I find that if I set letter for page 1 then set blank for the following pages, this switches page 1 to blank. A section about this could start with a strategy for configuring WP for everyday use.
For the sake of others following this thread, here's a link David & my conversation on the Forum:
In short, I'd recommend using the WordPerfect X5 Help Finder (via the Reference Center) to search the installed Help for specific topics. In particular, you may find that the WordPerfect tutorials contain the sorts of real-world examples you're looking for.