OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.

Disappearing Cursor

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA Posted: Tue, Aug 2 2011 1:35 PM

Disappearing Cursor

I’ve had lots of problems with WordPerfect X5 on a new Windows 7 computer. Many resolved; but not the following.

I have inserted graphics, such as a photo (jpg), in lots of documents. Of course in the normal composition of a document, a graphic will have to be resized or repositioned several times. Anytime I get into, open or move any such graphic, the cursor then disappears. Sometimes I can bring back the cursor by (i) several times opening and closing that graphic or (ii) hitting one of the keyboard Function keys, then closing the dialog that it brings up. There are no exceptions to this behavior; it happens all the time.

As a test to determine whether the disappearing cursor problem had something to do with a particular document, I loaded a document having several inserted graphics onto my old Windows XP / WordPerfect X3 computer. ---- No cursor problem at all; everything was fine.

Can anyone offer any help to this ongoing, and exasperating, problem?

Thank you,

Howard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

A quick search on WordPerfect Universe for "disappearing cursor" turned up 22 threads. For example: http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?31809-Disappearing-cursor&highlight=disappearing+cursor

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more
at http://wptoolbox.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:42 PM

Thank you for the heads up on WP Universe.

And in fact the link you supplied took me to a post where someone was having the exact problem that I described.  Unfortunately, the solution received in response to that post (hit the "Esc" key) does not work for me.  Moreover, even if it did bring back the cursor after each such event, the greater issue is why does this happen all the time, i.e., upon clicking on an inserted image, the cursor disappears, and cannot be brought back except by hitting a function key then exiting that dialog.

I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:02 PM

HOLD IT! Problem solved.

Yesterday I posted the following problem regarding my disappearing WP-X5 cursor:

. . . Anytime I get into, open or move an inserted graphic, the cursor then disappears. . . . I can bring back the cursor by . . . hitting one of the keyboard Function keys, then closing the dialog that it brings up. There are no exceptions to this behavior; it happens all the time

I just found the solution in Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Mouse > Tab "Pointer Options" (I have a Microsoft Intellimouse.)

Under Pointer Options, I had the box "Hide Pointer When Typing" checked.  (I don’t know what the underlying purpose of this option is, and I really don’t care.)  I Unchecked this box, exited the dialog and the Control Panel.  I relaunched WordPerfect X5.

Bingo!  Now, when I exit a graphic that has been inserted into a WP document, the cursor is sitting there waiting for me, just like my dog when I come home in the evenings.

I hope this post helps anyone else who may have strained a few follicles over this issue.

Howard

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:25 PM

Followup.

After several minutes work in a document with graphics, the problem of the disappearing cursor resurfaced.  So, problem is NOT solved.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, here's a quote from Charles Rossiter on WordPerfect Universe:

Please try switching off the shadow cursor. Perhaps that shadow cursor was causing confusion.

There are 3 position markers:
The insertion point, shown as a pulsing vertical bar, and as a red block in RevealCodes
The mouse cursor, which can be moved anywhere
The shadow cursor, which shows where the insertion point would be positioned if you clicked the left-mouse button.

The shadow cursor function depends on the settings under Tools, Settings, Display, Shadow Cursor choices. The shadow cursor is not displayed if the mouse cursor is outside the typing area.

So, is your insertion point disappearing, or is it the mouse cursor? Or the shadow cursor?

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 2:20 PM

Thank you for your response.

I am referring to the "insertion point" cursor, which, as you described, is shown as a pulsing or blinking black vertical bar, and as a red block in Reveal Codes.

I do not use WordPerfect’s "Shadow Cursor" function. In fact, my "Shadow Cursor" is not only not being used, but the function itself is entirely non-activated (not selected) under the "Settings" dialog for the Application Bar.

Further, I am NOT referring to the Mouse Pointer, Arrowhead Pointer, Hand w Index Finger or any other pointing or selecting icon, as other WordPerfect users have had disappear on them. I refer solely to the blinking, black cursor that indicates insertion point in the body of text or otherwise on a page.

In ordinary text work the insertion-point cursor is fine. But quite often, when I click on an inserted graphic (which, of course, "selects" that graphic), upon exiting the graphic the insertion-point cursor is gone.

One member of the WP Universe User Group, which you suggested that I check out, wrote that he, too, had experienced the problem; however, hitting the "Esc" key brought back the cursor. But that is not working for me. When the insertion-point cursor disappears, sometimes clicking in and out of the graphic several times will bring back the cursor; more reliable is to hit any Function Key that brings up a function dialog, then simply exit that dialog. Then the cursor reappears onscreen.

Last evening I found the "Hide Cursor While Typing" checkbox under --

Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Mouse > Tab "Pointer Options"

After I unchecked the box the disappearing cursor syndrome occurred less often. But it still occurred.

That’s my best description of the problem.

I have a Microsoft Laser Wheel Mouse, which comes with Microsoft’s Intellimouse software. Perhaps what I’ll try is to uninstall the Microsoft IntelliMouse software from my computer, relying instead on Windows control of mouse functions. If that does the job, I’ll report back. (Though the IntelliMouse software never caused a problem in either Windows 98 or XP.)

Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 737
lemoto replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 8:32 AM

I just experienced the same, using 15.0.0.505 (SP2).

I had printed one letter containing a graphic, which I had fiddled around with until I had it as I wished. No problems.

I composed a second letter, inserted the same graphic, and fiddled a little. It took a few seconds before I realised what had happened. The Select Image Box Then [Esc] routine restored normality.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

Same here (same build of WPX5, with hot patch .506 applied):

The insertion point disappears after inserting and moving a new graphic, unless the <Esc> key is used (as Roy noted) or you click the graphic again and then click in the body text area.

Steps to replicate:

1. Insert a graphic image from the Insert menu.

2. Immediately drag the image to reposition it.

3. Click in the body text area. No insertion point is visible.

4. Click on the image again, then click in the body text area. Insertion point is now visible.

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 904
HeatherB replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 11:54 AM

Duplicated and sent to QA team. Thanks gents.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 904
HeatherB replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 11:55 AM

Ah - and changing focus to another application and then coming back to WordPerfect also works to get the cursor back.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 3:44 PM

And the cursor isn't the only problem.

When getting into or moving a graphic, the "Graphic" toolbar pops up at the top of the screen, and it replaces one of my two preferred toolbars.  I don't really want the Graphic toobar to appear, but never made a deal of it as the Graphic toolbar vanished as soon as I exited the graphic, leaving my two preferred toolbars.

Now, accompanying the cursor problem:  when entering or moving a graphic, the Graphic toolbar appears BUT DOES NOT DISAPPEAR once I exit the graphic.  And inasmuch as the Graphic toolbar replaces one of my two preferred toolbars, I'm stuck.  The only way to get my two toolbars back is to exit the program and reload.

What a great program.

HSA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

HSA:

When getting into or moving a graphic, the "Graphic" toolbar pops up at the top of the screen, and it replaces one of my two preferred toolbars.  I don't really want the Graphic toobar to appear, but never made a deal of it as the Graphic toolbar vanished as soon as I exited the graphic, leaving my two preferred toolbars.

If you mean the property bar pops up when a graphic is selected -- that's working as designed.

I don't know what you mean by "my two preferred toolbars", since you could be talking about property bars or toolbars. For the difference: http://wptoolbox.com/tips/CustomPropertyBars.html.

Now, accompanying the cursor problem:  when entering or moving a graphic, the Graphic toolbar appears BUT DOES NOT DISAPPEAR once I exit the graphic.  And inasmuch as the Graphic toolbar replaces one of my two preferred toolbars, I'm stuck.  The only way to get my two toolbars back is to exit the program and reload.

That is, as you might suspect, not normal operation. It sounds like something is wrong with the document or template. See http://wptoolbox.com/tips/RepairDocs.html

What a great program.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, you just seem to be having many more problems than most who visit here -- and THOSE folks are mostly here to get help with problems. Like a hospital, we don't see many people here who are NOT having problems.

Snide remarks will simply make people avoid your posts. We volunteers are here to help because we LIKE the program. If you don't like it, feel free to try the alternatives. <shrug>

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 737
lemoto replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 4:24 PM

There are 40 or so Property Bars - only one shows at a time, usually the Text Property Bar. Many others (including one named Graphics) supplement or, more usually, replace it from time to time. In the Tools>Settings>Customize>Property Bars Dialog, scroll down to see their titles.

I just checked, and the Graphics Property Bar appeared and was replaced as should happen. Then, presently my cursor does not disappear. I can see a possible link between the disappearance of the cursor (an inappropriate extension of Graphics Mode) and the continuing display of the Graphics PB.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 46
HSA replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 10:29 PM

Ok, yes, a matter of terminology.  I use "Toolbar" to refer to any of the button-tools at the top of the screen (for most all programs), except Windows Menu Bar.  Using the definitions on WP Toolbox, which I agree provide a better and more precise description for knowledgeable users on this website, rather than generalized "Toolbar" I should have stated "Property Bar", and in particular the "Text" Property Bar as my default property bar.  And by the way, I have customized both my Toolbar and Property Bar.

Now, as far as my disappearing cursor (the problem of which I was the first to post in this thread) and property bar, I see that over the past couple of days that other experienced users are finding the same problem.  That's good, inasmuch as the lady from Corel who sometimes posts here has seen you posts acknowledging the problem (that I raised some time ago).  She apparently knows you, or knows of you, such that she might bring this problem to the attention of the programmers at Corel, which, in turn, may result in a Hot Fix or Service Pack inclusion.  As for my disappearing property bar, I appreciate "lemoto's" acknowledgement that the cursor and Property Bar problems might be related (perhaps with a tacit implication that I am neither nuts nor linking my problems with WP to UFOs).  All considered, I'll wait for the fix to the disappearing cursor to see if that rectifies the matter of the Property Bar.

As to the more general reliability of WP, I'll state merely three facts:

1:  Most office-environment users of WP never customize anything and seldom insert more than the simplest graphic or jpg.

2.  For me, WP crashes several times a week.  If a complex document is involved (multiple graphics, columns, footnotes, etc.) WP may crash multiple times per hour.

3.  I have owned Photoshop (the full version) for more than ten years.  I believe it fair to say that it is at least as large and complex as WordPerfect --- actually far, far more so.  In all my years, the program has never crashed.  Not once; not ever.  Like most, I have may other programs.  Wordperfect either crashes or "is not responding" more than all the other programs COMBINED, and by a multiple.

Have you read customer reviews regarding other Corel products?  Yes, I agree that in spaces such as Amazon and others the dissatisfied users may tend to be more vocal and numerous than satisfied users, but many of the reviews for Corel's photo and video products are astonishingly negative -- about both the product itself and the customer service personnel.

Finally, bear in mind that I have chosen to stay with WordPerfect not only due to my tens of thousands of documents in WP format created since 1985, but because of the two valuable features not found in Microsoft Word:  Reveal Codes and (what used to be called) the Program Manager file management capability from within the program.  At some point, however, once can no longer make excuses for a software program great, or call it great, when after more than 25 years it still crashes or functions errantly when working on anything more than the most simple documents.

My THREE cents.

In any event, again thank you for your help and suggestions regarding my disappearing cursor and property bar.  This user group and Barry's WP Toolbox are certainly tremendous resources.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.