OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.

THpg code

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
djconklin Posted: Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:41 PM

I have a table in which the command THpg command occurs and I cannot delete it and I need to get rid of it. [Update: the good news is that I got rid of the command.  The bad news is that I'm still having problems with lost table commands.] {Second edit: the command is back!}

Also in checking I see that the ending command for the table has disappeared, along with the beginning table command for the next table.

I need this fixed so I can publish my book.

Any ideas?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 759
lemoto replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:20 PM

I have a table in which the command THpg command occurs and I cannot delete it

No, you cannot, directly. WP creates [T...} Codes when circumstances dictate so.

If you change the circumstances appropriately, then  WP will remove the Code.

the good news is that I got rid of the command.

WP no longer needs to insert a Hard_Page Code.

I'm still having problems with lost table commands.

I have no idea what that means.

the command is back!

You changed things so that WP needed to recreate the Hard+Page Code.Sometimes WP  does this when the user sees no need. Then reducing the size of the bottom margin may help.

in checking I see that the ending command for the table has disappeared, along with the beginning table command for the next table.

The Hard_Page Code has moved it to the next page.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
djconklin replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:51 PM

>If you change the circumstances appropriately, then  WP will remove the Code.

And those circumstances would be?  Because the code is in, there's only 4 lines on the next page.  I have the basic one inch margins, top and bottom and both sides.  I'd really rather not change those.

I'm still having problems with lost table commands.

I have no idea what that means.

Think of two tables.  A command to turn the table on and one to turn it off for each.  Well, I'm missing the middle two commands.

>Sometimes WP  does this when the user sees no need

Wished it wouldn't do that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 751

Temporary codes (the "T" in the code) are inserted when the original version of the code is no longer needed -- but might be needed again, if you change formatting or insert/delete material above that code's location.

For example, a temporary hard return at the bottom of a page acts as a placeholder for the regular [HRt] code, so if you subsequently remove or add material above it, the normal hard return will instantly and automatically reappear to provide the original formatting -- something that most users would welcome.

In my experience, most "issues" users have with temporary codes are due to the current item (such as a table) not fitting on the current page between page margins, causing a "spill over" to the next page. You can readjust the item (font size, line or row spacing, page margins, etc.) to fit the page or use the WordPerfect automatic alternative: Format> Make it Fit (which is found on any <WordPerfect> menu, not on the <MS Word> menus).

...A command to turn the table on and one to turn it off for each. Well, I'm missing the middle two commands.

I'm not sure what you mean here. There a several "table" commands on the main menu ... which are missing?

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more
at http://wptoolbox.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Christine replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 2:16 PM

Hi Barry.  You seem very knowledgeable, so I hope you can help with the opposite problem I am having regarding temporary hard returns.  

Some of my pages are starting with a blank line (HRT), so that the top line of text is a little lower down on some pages, and I would prefer that they all start one inch from the top of the paper (I am not using any headers).  WP used to put a temporary code to prevent this (I thought the code  was "ignore HRT), but now it is not doing that.  Have I accidentally turned off some formatting option and how do I get WP to start automatically ignoring a HRT when it appears at the top of a new page?  I do not want to have to force a page break, as I know WP can do this automatically, and I want the ignore/temp HRT code in there for when new paragraphs are added that change the location of the automatic page breaks.

The document I am working on was a Microsoft Word file, but I deleted all Word codes, and even copied the finished file into a clean WP documents and saved it.

Thank you for your time.

Christine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 759
lemoto replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 3:27 PM

Christine:
Some of my pages are starting with a blank line (HRT), so that the top line of text is a little lower down on some pages, and I would prefer that they all start one inch from the top of the paper (I am not using any headers).  WP used to put a temporary code to prevent this (I thought the code  was "ignore HRT), but now it is not doing that.

Please check to see whether you have  two [HRt]s at those points.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 751

In addition to Roy's spot-on suggestion:

If the problem is in fact caused by using two (or more) hard returns to separate paragraphs -- the "traditional" method from the pre-computer (typewriter) days -- then you could (1) remove all extra hard returns (i.e., leaving just one hard return between paragraphs); then (2) set the paragraph spacing to "2" (or 1.5 or whatever) in Format, Paragraph, Format, "Spacing between paragraphs" at the top of the document.

(Notes: 1. Specific sections of the document can be returned to 1-line spacing with the same setting by selecting the section first. 2. A macro might help to automate the first task of removing extra hard returns. (Ask if you want one.)

This should let WordPerfect set the top-of-page lines to their correct locations whenever you add or delete prior material.

After doing this, you can set Widow/Orphan "on" in Format, Keep Text Together, then check (tick) the box. This is a document-specific setting.

Also: You can "glue" paragraph style headings to their following paragraphs in one operation with a macro on my site: http://wptoolbox.com/library/BPStyles.html. (The macro also adds the Window/Orphan function to the document.)

Obviously, make a backup of the document before doing such global editing.

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 65
tlnett replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:03 AM

I typically separate paragraphs with 2 HRts.  If I have a paragraph that runs to the end of the page and hit return, the code is [HRt-SPg] and the cursor is at the very beginning of the next page.  When I hit the 2nd return, the code is [Dorm HRt] and the cursor remains at the top of the page.  Any furter returns move the cursor down one line.

It seems that Christine is no longer getting the dormant HardReturn code, if I understand correctly.  Christine, am I interpreting this correctly?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 759
lemoto replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:05 PM

tlnett:
If I have a paragraph that runs to the end of the page and hit return, the code is [HRt-SPg] and the cursor is at the very beginning of the next page.  When I hit the 2nd return, the code is [Dorm HRt] and the cursor remains at the top of the page.

I tested before posting; in the test blah-blah document, two [Enter]s reliably produced a [HRt] code at the start of the next page.

I just tested again, using the same 15.0.0.512, and now two [Enters] always produce a Dorm [HRt] code at the start of the next page.

It looks as if some special circumstance causes the appearance of the unwanted  [HRt]. A few experiments have failed to recreate the circumstance.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 759
lemoto replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:08 PM

Of course

Dorm [HRt]

should be

[Dorm HRt]

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Christine replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 2:13 PM

Thank you, Barry.  Your suggestion  worked.  I deleted the hard carriage returns ([HRt]'s) between the paragraphs and used Paragraph Formatting  (Format, Paragraph, Format, "Spacing between paragraphs" ) instead to set the spacing between paragraphs, which eliminated the problem of having an HRt (blank line) at the top of the 2nd page.

In subsequent documents prepared in WordPerfect using HRt to end the paragraph, and another HRt to separate the next paragraph, I am not having the problem of the 2nd HRT  not being replaced by [Dorm HRt] at the top of the 2nd page, so I think it was just glitch caused when I opened an MS Word document with WordPerfect X5 and deleted all the Word codes.

I really appreciate the support and responses that all of you have offered.  I am alone in my office, so I your website is a wonderful resource and I am very grateful for the extra eyes and minds turned to my problem.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Christine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 751

You're welcome. :-)

Related to setting new spacing between paragraphs -- when I do it, I often prefer using 1.4-1.5 spaces between paragraphs -- you could add the paragraph spacing format code to your default template so that all new documents will start with such spacing each time you press the Enter key once.  See http://wptoolbox.com/tips/Templates.html#modify.

If you use paragraph Heading styles, you might try the block-protect styles macro mentioned previously (http://wptoolbox.com/library/BPStyles.html). It will keep 1-2 lines of following text together with the Heading so that they are not split across pages.

Finally, you can quickly edit those paragraph Heading styles to add a different (perhaps smaller) paragraph spacing (such as 1.2) to the formatting in the Style's Editor's Contents pane: http://wptoolbox.com/tips/CustomStyles.html. This makes the spacing between the Headings and the immediately following text different from the spacing between other, ordinary paragraphs.

These small format changes can make a document look much more professional. Of course, not all document will need such treatment -- the double-Enter key is still my most-used method. Old habits die hard....   ;-)

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.