OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.

Migrate Customizations to New Computer WP X6

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kathryn Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:53 AM

Getting a new computer at work soon and I need to migrate all my customizations to the new computer.  Can anyone advise me what files need to be copied over to ensure I keep all my keyboards, templates, toolbars, etc.  I used to have a document that listed them all, but can't seem to find it any  more.

Thanks!

Kathryn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 737
lemoto replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 1:53 PM

Look here and follow links you see there.

Check out also this thread, which contains a link to this one.

Though this is not its purpose, this customisation reference article lists other items that should be backed up for similar reasons.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8

How to migrate from WPO X5 to X6

Many people seem to have difficulties when migrating  from X5 to X6, if they want also to transfer their personal settings from X5 to X6.

The procedure described below is not difficult, but it may take you about an hour or so. The reward is, that you in the end you will have  your old environment functioning again as if you didn't change a thing.

The procedure described is valid if you have no other Corel products running than WPO only. If, for instance, if you also have Corel Draw installed on your machine, the procedure is somewhat more complicated, though not fundamentally different. The procedure described is for XP. For Vista and Windows 7 the file locations may be different. It is assumed that windows is installed on your C-disk.

Take about an hour for the whole thing. Take the following steps:

1.    Make an image of your C-disk with a program like Macrium Reflect (free), Norton Ghost or similar. This is just a safety measure, enabling you to restore  the whole old thing with a working X5 suite if you might run into difficulties. If you are sure what you are doing you may skip this step, but I would strongly advise you to not omit this.

2.    Open WordPerfect X5, right click on one of the toolbars and choose "settings" in the appearing menu. Read the template file, which should be something like WP15.US. Remember this name, or write it down. The same for the toolbars and property bars that you activated. Also make notes of all your settings in the Tools/Settings dialogs. This is some work.

3.    Go to C:\Documents and settings\Your name\Application data, where "Your name" is the folder with your personal settings. Here you will find a folder called "Corel". Make a copy of this folder and store it in a safe place, preferably on an other partition on the same computer.

4.    Now in the copy you made of this folder rename all subfolders and files containing "15" to "16" and similarly if they contain X5 make it X6. As an example, there is a folder called "WordPerfect Office X5" rename it to "WordPerfect Office X6" and if there is a file xx15yyyyy.zzz then rename it to xx16yyyyy.zzz. This sort of batch renaming is the easiest if you know how to do that in MSDOS, or even better in 4DOS or in Take Command. A renaming program such as "Rename Master" (free) might also do the job. Otherwise you will have to do all the renaming in Windows Explorer by hand. Be sure that no file or folder is left with 15 or X5 in its name. This is absolutely essential.

5.    Now deinstall the WP X5 suite and the concomitant iFilter from "Add or remove programs" that you can find in your control panel. Do NOT allow the deinstaller to keep your personal file and program settings. If there are any shortcuts left on your desktop or elsewhere, remove them manually.

6.    Remove from your C-disk all folders with the name Corel (different when you have other Corel products installede) or WordPerfect. This is an essential step.

7.    Reboot.

8.    Although this is not an essential step, it is a good idea to now clean your registry from Corel remnants. A good way to do this is by a registry cleaning program like Eusing Registry Cleaner or RegSeeker or (even better) by using them both. Both are free for personal use, and are easy to find on the Internet. With RegEdit (to be found under C:\Windows\regedit.exe)  manually remove the folders HKLM\Software\Corel and HKCU\Software\Corel. If you have other Corel programs installed this is more complicated and should not be done this way. With RegSeeker you can easily remove other occurrences of Corel and WordPerfect from your registry. If you have no other office suite installed on your machine, you can safely remove all registry keys that contain references to Corel products. If you do have another Office program installed, you must keep the keys that refer to converting and/or importing WPO-files.
        If you do not feel safe with this all, omit these steps. However running Eusing Registry Cleaner and letting Eusing clean your registry from all keys it suggests is a safe procedure.

9.    Again reboot.

10.    Now install and activate your WordPerfect Office X6. Activation is essential.

11.    Go to C:\Documents and settings\Your name\Application data and delete the folder named Corel that you find there, and replace it with the folder you edited as described under point 3 above. In fact you now have all your information for the restoration of your old configuration transferred, however a few things are stored in the registry, and therefore must be reset in the program. For WordPerfect a few of those are described below. For Quattro Pro and for Presentations similar steps are required.

12.    Open WP X6 and choose your default language in Tools/Language/settings and restart WP.

13.    Right click on one of the toolbars and choose "settings" in the appearing menu. It should state that the template is something like wp16US. This should be the same file as mentioned under point 2, but there it was called wp15US. You renamed it under step 3. Activate the same toolbars en property bar that you had active under WP X5, and that you wrote down under point 2. Place the bars on your screen where you want them. You should now have your old WP desktop back.

14.    Go to Tools/Proofread and activate what you want.

15.    Go to Tools/QuickWords or QuickCorrect and select Format as you go. Take the same settings you had under X5. Also for Smart quotes.

16.    Go to Tools/settings and make the necessary adjustments under all tabs. Here for example you have to restate you default folders, and some other things that steer the behavior of WP.

This should be it. Again, it is not really a straightforward thing, but it is a lot less work than redoing everything from scratch. It is definitely worth the effort.

Success!!

David

Disclaimer.
This information is given as is, and the author cannot be held responsible for any problems that may follow on the application of the method described above.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 737
lemoto replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:04 AM

It is good of you to share that information with others.

However, there is a disadvantage in what you suggest

That v15 template (other items, too) accesses features in the older WP version that may be different or absent in the newer, and it cannot access features in the newer that did not exist in the older version.
Rather, copy your existing template to the new template directory, and Tools|Settings|Customize|.... to copy over whatever you require. Note that these in turn may suffer the access problems noted above.

The most awkward item is the menu, which changes significantly with each version, specifically to adjust to the current feature set. I have found it easiest to modify the current menu, with my alternative WP version open (or having created a set of screenshots) so that I can create something quite similar.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

Also see "Updating, upgrading, or reinstalling WordPerfect" which contains a section on migrating your customizations -
http://wptoolbox.com/tips.html#7

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more
at http://wptoolbox.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8

Lemoto and Barry,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Barry's URL is quite an extensive elaboration on the organization of WP in the registry and elsewhere, but it is already a few years old. Of course I read this several times, already years ago. Although it contains a lot of useful information it did not completely solve my problem. I agree with the comments of Lemoto, except that I (since WP 8.0) never had any difficulties in having an older customization working in a newer version of WP. That the other way round may raise problems is quite logic.

The idea is that you keep the desktop exactly as it was. That, of course, implies that newer features and also new menu structures (that, as Lemoto correctly states, change often) do not show up in your new desktop. When you migrate with the method I describe, you should consider if you thereby loose new features that you may need or want. Lemoto's approach, in that case, is a good alternative. However, from version X3 on in my case customizing the menu structure after migration was easy. I have a complicated and somewhat intricate desktop, to enable me to work in 4 different languages with 5 different custom dictionaries. Furthermore, I have severeal custom label and paper definitions, over a hundred macros, over 150 key definitions, a custom keyboard and a bunch of templates. They all migrate seamlessly to newer versions using the method I described. It is just my goal to make the procedure available to others. Of course other methods might work as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 714

Ligtenstein:
... Barry's URL is quite an extensive elaboration on the organization of WP in the registry and elsewhere, but it is already a few years old.

But it is frequently updated ... as witnessed by the new information there about WPX6.

It may simply be a matter of what works best for each user.

It is worth noting that WPX6 can even migrate some settings from an older version during installation (see this thread on WP Universe), which may be enough for some (or most) users.

- Barry -
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Tips, macros, and more
at http://wptoolbox.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.