OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.

loaded wordperfect 10 onto new computer with windows 7 professional & now unable to "save as" in wordperfect

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Maureeng Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:55 PM

Hello Colleagues,

I am new to this forum so I say "Hi" to you other wordperfect users & am glad I found you.

My problem pertains to saving documents.  I recently bought a new computer preloaded with windows 7 professional.  I loaded my wordperfect 10 & that process went smoothly.   However, I find now that when I try to save a document I have created in wordperfect using the "save as" feature, windows freezes.  I have to attempt a soft reboot to "un-freeze" the computer.  Then I receive a screen that identifies whatever programs are preventing windows from closing, including wordperfect.  From that screen, I can open the wordperfect document on which I was working and save it but I still can't "save as".  So, basically, I can't change the name of the document.  This is a major problem for me because I often open old documents, revise them as necessary, and then save them under a new name using "save as".  This freezing/rebooting process requires that I lose either the new or the old document.

Would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 294

Relate to your other question, wp10 was not designed for Vista, much less W7.  There are 2 things that I can think of that might help.

1. Uncheck the setting to use Enhanced File Dialogs.

2.  If 1 fails, rename the PrintEngine registry key and then open wp. 

Be sure that you have all valid print drivers of course.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Maureeng replied on Tue, Dec 8 2009 10:59 PM

Thanks, Ken.  Disabling Enhanced File Dialogs seems to have solved my problem.!

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Hello Kenneth and all:

I am new to this forum and this fix has worked for me as well. I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. When I installed WordPerfect 9 it would freeze when I tried to open an existing document. Unchecking the setting to use Enhanced File Dialogs fixed the problem and I can now use WordPerfect 9 with Windows 7. I am a long time user of WP starting with 5.0 and still think it's the best.

Now if someone would find a way to speed up Windows 7 I would be happy, happy, happy.

Thanks Kenneth

Garry Kelsey

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mhhack replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 2:13 PM

Hi - A similar problem: WP10 reports 'no system printer installed' when run under win7. When trying to print a box opens with PrintEngine1000, and the preceding message.

Is it possible that changing the PrintEngine registry key will fix this, and if so, how do I do this?

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 809
lemoto replied on Sun, Dec 26 2010 8:38 AM

mhhack:

Is it possible that changing the PrintEngine registry key will fix this, and if so, how do I do this?

Thanks

Look here: http://tinyurl.com/6jhacd

Not Ranked
Posts 3

I have the same problem. How can I "disabling File Dialogs"?

Not Ranked
Posts 3

How can I uncheck the setting to use Enhanced File DIalogs?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 809
lemoto replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:32 PM

morant7226:

How can I uncheck the setting to use Enhanced File DIalogs?

Tools>Settings>Files>...

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Problem resolved. Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 809
lemoto replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 7:31 AM

Glad all is well now - you're welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9
DWFII replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:19 AM

I don't suppose that there is any hope for WordPerfect 2000 (v.9) on Windows 7 (x64 Ultimate)? Any work-around similar to unchecking Enhanced File Dialogs that will allow it to be happy?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 809
lemoto replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:01 PM

Try it, though I should not be very hopeful. Folks' experiences vary.

Of course, if you have Win7Pro, you can run it in XP compatibility mode. Probably, in your Ultimate also, though I do not have the details.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.