OfficeCommunity.com
The official WordPerfect Office Community.

wordperfect 4x

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
Maureeng Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:56 PM

Is wordperfect 4x compatible with windows 7 professional?

How about any earlier versions of wordperfect (after & including wordperfect 10)?

Thanks,

Maureen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 11:58 AM

I cannot get graphics (JPG & PNG) to open in WP X3 or X4 using Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 9000 using an Intel i7 CPU (quad-processor).

When I try to insert a graphic, I get the error message: "CdrConv.exe — Application Error: The instruction at 0x036cd6e7 referenced memory at 0x00000007. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program."

When I click "OK", I get a second message: "WordPerfect: Detected file format is not supported."

My friend, Dave, is not having this problem with WP X3 on his Windows 7 PC, but he’s got an AMD processor; not an Intel quad.

I tried to get Corel Support, but because I bought the Student/Teacher version of WP Office X4, support is not offered. (That was not stated in the sales pitch to get me to buy that package.)

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

In addition, I can only edit my macros in WP X3 or X4, in Windows 7, if I turn off the User Account Code in the Control Panel under Users.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:48 PM

I have discovered the creator of the problem of not being able to insert graphics into WordPerfect X4 in Windows 7.

If I do an installation of WP X4, I can Insert > Graphics > From File and select a JPG with no problems. However, if I select File > Publish to PDF that insertion is no longer possible. I know that to be a fact because I created 2 new Users and followed those steps. The minute I select File > Publish to PDF, my ability to insert JPG is gone.

My work-around is to have two Users: "Darry D" and "PDF".

I use "Darry D" to insert graphics to my heart’s content.

I then switch to "PDF" to File > Publish to PDF.

Then I switch back to "Darry D".

Is it an aggravation? You betcha.

Do I wish there was a easier way? You betcha.

I’m wondering if the technicians who write WordPerfect actually use the program.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 294

Since X4 came out before W7, I would not expect to see it fully tested. Of course it may be more of 64 bit Windows issue than a version issue.

Doing it in XP Pro 32 bit, it worked fine.

In a few weeks when I get VistaHome64 running again, I could check that. 

I see a big reluctance for companies to use Vista and with W7 as well due to the problems in Vista.  I think alot of Vista's bad rap comes from the 64 bit issues though.  Most people that went with it did not realize all of the legacy issues.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 5:09 PM

I would accept that being the case IF a Corel technician had not told me that the problem of inserting JPG into X3 using Win7 would be solved if I bought and installed X4.  Now that I've bought X4 and installed it, I'm left with the same problem.  The problem only occurs if I select File > Publish to PDF and the only solution given was (1) do a complete reinstall and NOT use Insert > Image > From File, selecting a JPG or (2) create a separate User to File > Publish to PDF.  (I'm using Option 2.).

Since I do the Master Gardener Yearbook for my county, not using JPG is absurd.

IF Corel is aware of the problem, and the technician I talked with certainly was, I would have thought there would have be an SP3 publised ASAP to end the aggrevation - or, at a minimu, something published on the Corel site saying, "We're aware, You are important. We are working on the solution."

If I seem overly disturbed over this it's because I've been using WP since it was published by Satellite Software way back in the early 1980's.  I have been so impressed and loyal that I have stayed wtih WP through every version up to X4.  I'm not going to buy X5 to solve a problem that I have with X3 and X4 working with Windows 7 because I will be unconvinced that spending more money will solve a problem I've already spent money on solving - without much support from the publisher I have been so loyal to all these years.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
phyllis01 replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reviews.. I read the conversation about Word Perfect. It helps to other people.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 10
BrianL replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:45 PM

I think before the next version some of the things not working well in X4 should be addressed and made to work.  The .pdf conversion and viewer system is so far from working that it is a major disaster.  It is unusable.  The conversion to it is less than anything like accurate and opening it in a .pdf viewer results in something that is not usable, especially if using drop case.

Lightening and the Joyent apps; what are these even about.  They seem to be nothing more than throw-ins to try to assert there is value for the price.  This has been an ongoing annoyance for versions going back to 9 with CorelCentral but at least it had a use and should have continued in development.  Putting in features and then pulling them makes users uncomfortable.  I had developed database systems and management systems around the cardfile and memo apps in CorelCentral and having to build new ones in some other app makes me nervous about using any side product included in the software.  

I agree that Lightning could be interesting or usable if it had a scanner system and publish to .pdf app built in. But only if the .pdf to Wp and Quarttro works. Otherwise publish to WP and Quarttro is needed.  PaperPort can do it so it should be doable.

In the marketing of X4, the literature says the pdf systems have been improved but considering the quality included I'd need real proof of it being right before moving to X5 and it should be fixed in X4.

Improvements, well getting any glitches in the programs working on Win7 should be fixed and a 64bit version needs to be developed as it is coming and if WP does not get a 64 bit version, then it is only a matter of time before it is just legacy software.  I realize this is an extensive project and not easy to do on a tight budget but is needed. 

While the support of .odf is decent it could be better and it would be nice if it could also read and write to .odt, the template format or at least read it.

The projects system is an interesting templates system but also could be improved on.   It should be accessible from within the individual apps.

Overall, make what you have work as it should.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:01 PM

BrianL:
I think before the next version some of the things not working well in X4 should be addressed and made to work.  The .pdf conversion and viewer system is so far from working that it is a major disaster.  It is unusable.  The conversion to it is less than anything like accurate and opening it in a .pdf viewer results in something that is not usable, especially if using drop case.

Lightening and the Joyent apps; what are these even about.  They seem to be nothing more than throw-ins to try to assert there is value for the price.  This has been an ongoing annoyance for versions going back to 9 with CorelCentral but at least it had a use and should have continued in development.  Putting in features and then pulling them makes users uncomfortable.  I had developed database systems and management systems around the cardfile and memo apps in CorelCentral and having to build new ones in some other app makes me nervous about using any side product included in the software.  

I agree that Lightning could be interesting or usable if it had a scanner system and publish to .pdf app built in. But only if the .pdf to Wp and Quarttro works. Otherwise publish to WP and Quarttro is needed.  PaperPort can do it so it should be doable.

In the marketing of X4, the literature says the pdf systems have been improved but considering the quality included I'd need real proof of it being right before moving to X5 and it should be fixed in X4.

Improvements, well getting any glitches in the programs working on Win7 should be fixed and a 64bit version needs to be developed as it is coming and if WP does not get a 64 bit version, then it is only a matter of time before it is just legacy software.  I realize this is an extensive project and not easy to do on a tight budget but is needed. 

While the support of .odf is decent it could be better and it would be nice if it could also read and write to .odt, the template format or at least read it.

The projects system is an interesting templates system but also could be improved on.   It should be accessible from within the individual apps.

Overall, make what you have work as it should.

I concur.  I have had to create a second user just so I can publish to PDF because if I do it, I can no longer insert JPG into my documents.

Likewise, the Macro Help has not improved noticeably since WP 7.  The macros are one of the things that make WP shine over Word, but I'm left to scour the Web to find WP macros to do what I want unless I've used the Commands before.  I spent over an hour trying to do something I had not done before because the macro will only tell you "EndIf expected" - not "Here's how to fix the problem."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Brad replied on Tue, May 18 2010 2:50 PM

I agree regarding PDF can't seem to get any response from WP. Any further information?

Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Tue, May 18 2010 9:00 PM

No changes of which I'm aware.  Without the second User, I could not Publish to PDF.

Right now, I'm stopping my purchases of WP at X4 (which I wish I had not bought because it does not offer any redeeming, usable value over X3), and my family will not purchase any newer version than the X3 that they have purchased.

If it were not for all the macros I have created in WordPerfect, I'd be looking for a replacement word processor.  I never thought I'd say that about WordPerfect, but whoever is writing it now has totally forgotten what got WP the world acclaim it used to enjoy.  As a user since 1983, I am saddened and embarrassed that I can no longer brag that I'm using the leading-edge word processor.

Not Ranked
Posts 2

I've been following this topic and now need help.

I had this problem in a previous version of WP and received assistance from Corel. Last week I installed X4 on my new HP Pavilion, 64-bit, NTFS partition system. I use .jpg images extensively in table formats to identify the inventory of millions of small beads for my business.

I can no longer bring in my downloaded or scanned images in .jpg format and trying to convert all of them to .wpg is a ludicrous workaround. I did have a .jpg image and attempted to convert it using Hijaak Pro to no avail.

I contacted Corel via email last week and received a Question Reference Number and was told I would be contacted in 48 hours - no response as yet.

It appears that some of you have been successful with a workaround doing something to the user and temp files. Unfortunately, while I am not a neophyte on the computer, the shorthand instructions weren't enough for me to feel comfortable with renaming any files at this point.

Can someone take pity on me and assist me with this? I use the graphic import into X4 on an hourly basis and really need this. Apparently Corel isn't going to assist me and I'm certainly not going to purchase X5. I started with 5.0 and, like many others in this thread, have felt I'm working with the best word processor on the market. I'm really bummed right now because this is affecting my ability to be productive in my business.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 1:09 PM

This is an expansion of my post above from Sunday, January 17.

My work-around is to have two Users: "Darry D" (my main User) and an Alternate User.
To create a new user:

A. Select Start > Control Panel.
B. Double, left-click on “User Accounts” — Single click if you’re using Windows 7.
C. Click on “Manage another account.”
D. Click on “Create a New Account.”
E.  Give it a name.
F.  Exit from the Control Panel.

1. I use "Darry D" User Account to insert graphics into my WordPerfect document.

2. I then switch to my Alternate User to "Publish to PDF".
A. Start > Switch User (in Windows 7).
B. Click on the Alternate User.
C.  Open WordPerfect.
D. Open the document you created in Step 1 above.
E. Click on File > Publish to PDF.
F. Exit Adobe Reader (which opens whenever you “Publish to PDF”).
G. Exit WordPerfect.

3. Then I switch back to "Darry D" (main User account) and continue to work.

Is it an aggravation? You betcha.  Do I wish there was a easier way? You betcha.

I’m wondering if the technicians who write WordPerfect actually use WordPerfect.

Be aware that I have and will continue to post free WordPerfect lessons online at http://DarryD.com which might lower your learning curve for WordPerfect 4X.  If you have further questions either post them here or email me from the link at the bottom of my WordPerfect Lessons page.  I provide all answers - here or elsewhere - for free to pay back the people of a nation that has been so grand to me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 904
HeatherB replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:24 PM

After you publish to PDF this error will occur on some computers (multi-core processors). 

Exit WordPerfect and delete this directory:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Corel\WordPerfect Office X4\User Config

You won't lose anything by doing this unless you've created your own "named settings" for PDF. 

Deleting the directory will fix the Import Graphics issue until the next time you Publish to PDF.  A more lasting fix can be found here (and despite the notes, does work for Windows 7 as well)

http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/764416/kw/cdrconv/p/8%2C494/r_id/166

WordPerfect Office X5 also experiences this issue but we hope to address it in the next Service Pack.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 55
Darry D replied on Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:13 AM

Your recommended "more lasting fix" ends with the statement, "2. After publishing to PDF, delete the User Config directory in APPDATA. Which will restore the Insert Graphics functionality until the next Pub to PDF."  

Visit my website and all my lessons - which I share with friends and family at no cost - are all created in WordPerfect and "published to PDF."

Are you really, seriously recommending that deleting the hidden files (which requires either changing the Tools > View to "Show hidden files" each time or - dangerously - leaving them showing all the time) is easier than my "08-07-2010 1:09 PM" recommendation to create an Alternate User?

I am not trying to attack you, but your idea of "permanent" is far different than mine.

If Corel is going to put out a Service Pack to fix this problem in WP X5, why not put out one to fix it in WP X4?  

Am I angry? You betcha! But anger is a secondary emotion. My primary emotion is disappointment that the legions of loyal WordPerfect users have been somehow forgotten in Corel's adventures in trying to capture the next generation of word processing buyers.  By the by, young people don't use word processors; they've got Twitter.

I have bought EVERY upgrade of WordPerfect from its original Satellite Software offering through X4; but, I'm not buying X5 or any version after that because I have lost confidence in Corel's willingness to take care of its loyal customers.

Now, maybe, losing eight  purchases a year isn't going to dent Corel's bottom line (which is what my family bought); but, I'm tried of throwing money into new WP versions that I'm assured will fix the problems in the previous versions.  

I used to meet with a WordPerfect User Group. It's now disbanded because of the disenchantment of those users with the mess that is WP X4.  My chief rival pointed out, "Why not use MS Word, it has a 'publish to PDF' that works."

(Let's not even venture into the horror tales about WP X5 that are cropping up all over the Web.) 

Loyalty is a 2-way street. I no longer use an antivirus program that I used for six years because it became so bloated it slowed my PCs - and I use only the fastest processors with 1-4 Gb of RAM (depending upon the Windows version).  I no longer use Internet Explorer because it's bloated and slow.  I guess the day is rapidly approaching that I will no longer use WordPerfect, the word processor of choice in the military and in legal circles, when I began this computer-knowledge quest back in the 1980s.  That will be the hardest change because WP always did the job.  (Notice that's past tense.)

When friends realized they had to buy Publisher to put out newsletters from MS Word, I told them, "Buy WP. It is a desktop publisher."  When I showed the high school where I began to teach how far superior to Page Maker WordPerfect was - not only in capabilities, but in easy of learning - the school began offering WordPerfect and ditched Page Maker.  (Now it teaches MS Word.)

Maybe the glory days of WordPerfect are over; but, it's sad to watch old friends die.  But don't get me started.

PUNCHLINE: Try what HeatherB is suggesting; but, when you realize how difficult that is (and how dangerous it is to have 'hidden' files showing), try my Alternate User concept.  "You'll be glad you did."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 904
HeatherB replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 10:04 AM

Judith, a reply was sent from Corel:

Response (Nelson Duay)

08/04/2010 02:47 PM

Dear Judith,

Dear Mr/ Ms Greathouse,

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support Services.

Most likely, the compression of the image file that you want to import in your WordPerfect document is not supported by the program. To workaround this limitation, please open the image file using a photo editing program such as MS Paint, choose Save as from File menu and save the file in .BMP format. Then, use this new file to import in your document.

Kindly be informed that WordPerfect Office X4 is not designed to work with Windows 7. You may install this program in this platform but the stability and functionality are not guaranteed. There are currently no plans to release an update to make this program work on this platform.

Please refer to the following link for list of Windows 7 compatible Corel software:

http://www.corel.com/windows7

Should you have further questions, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Nelson
Corel Customer Support Services

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are the views of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms of use.